ARTICLE I. RELATIONSHIP TO THE WISCONSIN STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
Section 1. This organization is an affiliate of the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society, Inc., which is a non-stock, non-profit corporation under Chapter 181 and Section 44.03 of the Wisconsin Statutes.
ARTICLE II. NAME
Section 1. The name of this society shall be the St. Croix Valley Genealogical Society (SCVGS).
Section 2. In general, the area encompassed by this Society consists of the counties of St. Croix and Pierce in the State of Wisconsin.
Section 3. The location of the principal office shall be P.O. Box 396, River Falls, Wisconsin, 54022.
ARTICLE III. PURPOSE
Section 1. The purpose of SCVGS shall be educational, to provide an association of persons interested in genealogy, to enable members to assist each other in their personal genealogical pursuits by means of holding meetings for the instruction and pleasure of its members, and to assist the Wisconsin State Genealogical Society in any activities involving this region.
ARTICLE IV. MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Qualifications
- Any person who is interested in genealogy, who intends to further the business and purposes of SCVGS and to abide by the rules thereof, who applies for membership and tenders the necessary dues, shall thereby become a voting member of SCVGS.
- Membership is not restricted to residency in the counties encompassed by SCVGS.
- The membership year runs from May 1 to April 30.
- Membership shall be terminated automatically for nonpayment of dues.
Section 2. Classifications
- Individual Membership. An individual is entitled to receive meeting notices and/or mailings and is entitled to one vote.
- Family Membership. Two individuals residing at the same address may hold Family Membership, entitling them to receive jointly meeting notices, and/or mailings. Each shall be entitled to one vote.
- Charter Membership. Any member who joined the St. Croix Valley Chapter on April 19, 1979, shall be designated a Charter member.
Section 3. Dues and Subscriptions
The amount of dues and/or subscriptions shall be set by the Governing Board.
Section 4. Records
- A permanent membership file containing the names of all members of record since the organization of this Society, showing the type of membership held, shall be maintained by the Secretary, the Treasurer, or the designee of the Chairman.
- All members shall notify SCVGS promptly of change of address.
ARTICLE V. GOVERNING BOARD
- The Governing Board shall consist of the Officers, the immediate Past-Chairman, the Editor, committee chairs, and others designated by the Board.
- All officers and Board members shall be current dues-paying members of SCVGS.
Section 2. Powers of the Board
- The Board shall conduct the affairs of SCVGS. Such matters as are subject to ratification by the members shall be considered at regular or special meetings of the membership.
- The Board shall create such permanent and special committees as shall be deemed necessary; shall define the duties and responsibilities of such committees; and shall require the chairman of each committee to keep records and to report at meetings of the Board or of the Membership.
- The Board shall fill any vacancy which may occur in any of the offices or on the Board, or any vacancy created by an increase in the authorized number of directors, such appointees to hold office until the next ensuing Annual Meeting, at which time elections shall be held as described in Article VIII.
ARTICLE VI. OFFICERS AND DUTIES
Section 1. The elected officers of SCVGS shall be: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer. They shall assume office immediately upon adjournment of the election meeting.
Section 2. Duties
- The Chairman shall preside over meetings of the Membership and the Governing Board, shall supervise the work of Officers and Committees, and shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- The Vice-Chairman shall assist the Chairman, shall act in the absence of the Chairman, and shall become Chairman in event of the resignation of the Chairman.
- The Secretary shall keep minutes of the meetings, shall keep the correspondence of SCVGS as needed, and shall preserve the history of the organization.
- The Treasurer shall collect dues, pay all bills, deposit funds in the bank, submit reports of conditions of the Treasury when requested, and shall maintain a list of current members. Books shall be audited annually, and the Treasurer shall be bonded if deemed necessary.
- Expenditures over $50 must have the approval of the Board.
ARTICLE VII. COMMITTEES
Section 1. Committees shall be created as deemed necessary to promote the objectives and carry on the work of SCVGS.
Section 2. Committee members shall be appointed by the Chairman in consultation with the Board.
Section 3. A Program Committee shall be appointed and be responsible for planning programs for SCVGS meetings.
Section 4. A Publications Chairman may be appointed and shall be responsible for sending out publications, getting reprints made of publications, as needed, and providing reports of sales and inventory.
Section 5. Funds for any and all committees shall be approved by the Board.
ARTICLE VIII. ELECTIONS
- All Officers shall be elected for a term of one year.
- The election shall be held at the Annual Meeting each year.
- Two months prior to the Annual Meeting, a Nominating Committee shall be appointed to draw up a slate of officers to present to the annual meeting. This shall not be construed to preclude nominations from the floor at the Annual Meeting for any office. Any member so nominated must have consented to serve, if elected.
- Slate of nominees is to be presented to the Membership at the meeting one month prior to the Annual Meeting.
- The candidate with the largest number of votes for any office shall be elected.
- All nominees shall be current dues-paying members of SCVGS.
ARTICLE IX. MEETINGS
- Regular meetings of the membership shall be held monthly September through May, the dates and places to be set by the Board.
- The Annual Meeting shall be held in the month of May.
- A special meeting of the Membership may be called at any time by the Board or by a quorum of the members, and shall be held within Pierce or St. Croix Counties. Notice shall be sent a minimum of 30 days in advance and specify purpose, time, and location.
- A quorum shall consist of ten (10) members entitled to vote, which quorum must be present in person to constitute a valid meeting.
Section 2. Board Meetings
- The Board shall meet as necessary.
- Five (5) Board members shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE X. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Section 1. Roberts Rules of Order Revised shall govern SCVGS in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they do not conflict with these Bylaws.
ARTICLE XI. DISSOLUTION
Section 1. In the event SCVGS shall become inactive, shall hold no meetings for a period of six months, shall fail to hold an election and elect officers at the time set forth in Article VIII, any liabilities and obligations shall first be satisfied with Society monies. Any remaining monies and/or genealogical collections may be donated to a legally constituted Wisconsin non-profit institution. Records of proceedings and membership files shall be offered to an historical or genealogical repository.
ARTICLE XII. AMENDMENTS
Section 1. These Bylaws may be amended by a vote of 2/3 majority of the members voting at a Membership meeting at which a quorum is present.
Section 2. An amendment to the Bylaws shall be presented at a regular or special meeting, and voted on at the next regular or special meeting of the membership.