To order publications, send a check made out to St. Croix Valley Genealogical Society for the total amount of the publications, including shipping and handling, and mail to SCVGS, P.O. Box 396, River Falls, WI, 54022. Either print out the publications page and √ the items you wish to purchase or send a list of the items along with your remittance.
- 1876 Indexed Plat Map of St. Croix County (Wisconsin) $6.00 + $3.50 S & H
- Hudson Area Biographical Index CD (©2007) $29.95 + $3.00 S & H. To learn more about this CD, read on.
When Willis Miller was nominated for the Federation of Genealogical Societies Distinguished Service Award in 2001, he was described as “a historical and genealogical treasure who set out to preserve the history of the people and places of the Hudson area and of St. Croix County and has done a magnificent job. ”Following graduation from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota in 1940 with a degree in history, Willis began working at the Hudson Star-Observer newspaper. Soon after he established the Hudson Area Biographical Index (HABI), a comprehensive listing of names and information on more than 50,000 Hudsonites. The index covers the Hudson Star-Times from 1890 to 1905 and the Hudson Star-Observer from 1909 through 2005, as well as some earlier and nearby newspapers. Willis became editor of the Star-Observer in 1952, and was the publisher from 1958 to 1984, when he partially retired. He has written more than a dozen books, mostly about Hudson and its history. He was instrumental in the formation of the St. Croix County Historical Society in 1947, aided in the establishment of the Hudson Library History Room, and was a charter member of the St. Croix Valley Genealogical Society. He died in 2009. SCVGS members spent four years entering the biographical data into a database that is now available on a CD. Requires Windows XP or greater.
- Hudson Area Directory 1899–1948 (a compilation of the 1899 City Directory and a number of telephone books) $25.00 + $6.00 S & H
- A Most Beautiful & Handy Name: Wisconsin Place Names in the St. Croix Valley by Tim Ericson (©1997 by the University of Wisconsin-River Falls Press). This book, recently acquired by St. Croix Valley Genealogical Society, has been “out of print” for several years. A box of the books was recently found in storage at the Area Research Center on the university campus. Our society has been given rights to sell this publication. $14.95 + $3.50 S & H
- Our Business Houses: Their Past and Present as Portrayed by a Star And Times Observer. This is a 28-page booklet with index describing the businesses of Hudson, WI in 1895 and their locations. $10.00 + $3.50 S & H
- Surname Index to A. B. Easton’s History of the St. Croix Valley (every name index to ©1909 two-volume set) $9.00 + $3.50 S & H
- Cemetery Inventories, Oak Grove Twp., Vol. I (Pine Glen Cemetery, Prescott, Pierce County, Wisconsin) $15.00 + $3.50 S & H
- Cemetery Inventories, Oak Grove Twp., Vol. II (Big River Presbyterian Cemetery, Hamman Cemetery, St. John’s United Church of Christ Cemetery, St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery, Stirrat(t) Cemetery, St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, all Pierce County, Wisconsin) $9.00 + $3.50 S & H
- St. Bridget’s Cemetery, Stanton Twp., St. Croix County (Wisconsin) $10.00 + $3.50 S & H (This is not the St. Bridget’s Cemetery located in River Falls, which is in Pierce County.)